Pride of the Valley Flour Mill Hours
Tuesday – Saturday 10am – 4pm
Currently the Flour Mill is closed for upgrades. At this time there is no flour available at the museum for sale.
Please check back for updates.
The historic Pride of the Valley Flour Mill was originally built in 1915 to produce flour for the Doukhobors in the region, as well as the rest of the valley. The mill operated on steam power until 1945 when the mill was closed down, until it was reopened in 1962 using an electric hammer mill. Flour has been in continuous production on the site ever since using the same production methods, to produce white flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour, triticale flour, and bran.
All products produced at the Pride of the Valley Flour Mill have no additives or preservatives, using only the purest, locally sourced grain. The flour is sold in the Heritage Welcome Centre, which provides tours to the public in the summer season, and at the Boundary Museum & Interpretive Centre throughout the year.
The flour is used the weekly bread baking events at the Boundary Museum & Interpretive Centre, and by the USCC Bread and Lapsha groups. Pride of the Valley Doukhobor recipe books are available, to teach you the bread baking process from start to finish.
Traditionally bread played a large role in the Doukhobor culture both as a staple in their diet, and as a spiritual symbol. At Doukhobor gatherings, a table with bread, salt, and water is placed upon it, representing the basic elements of life, and the concept of “Toil and Peaceful Life”.