The Boundary Museum Society was established in 1958, and incorporated in 1980. From its inception, we have striven to preserve and promote the history of the Boundary area in an engaging, accessible manner that adds value to the local community. We currently operate a number of exhibits and sites throughout the Boundary region, including our main museum site at the Fructova Heritage Site, the Heritage Flour Mill, an outdoor exhibit in Gyro Park in downtown Grand Forks and a visual photo collection along with showcased artifacts at the Christina Lake Welcome Centre.
Our mandate is to:
- exhibit, and
- use for educational purposes,
artifacts relating to the human and natural history of Grand Forks and the Boundary area.
To realize this mandate, the museum relies on our board of seven dedicated directors, staff, summer students, and volunteers.
Interested in helping us out? Learn how you can get involved!
Fructova School Heritage Site
The Boundary Museum & Interpretive Centre moved into the former Fructova School in 2009, now known as the Fructova Heritage Site. Fructova was built by the Doukhobors in 1929 as a school for the local Doukhobor children to be educated as required by BC law. The school was made using brick from the community brick factory located just below the school grounds. It originally held two classrooms; one at either end and a teacherage in the middle, which was later converted to another classroom. The school was in use until the late 1940’s when the students were sent by bus to Central Elementary School (current Perley School site) in Grand Forks instead.
Fructova was fully renovated in the 1980’s by the Doukhobor Historical Society of BC, and became home to the Boundary Museum & Interpretive Centre in 2009. Currently The Fructova Heritage Site houses a number of exhibits both on Doukhobor life and pioneer life in the Boundary in general.
Board of Directors | 2016/2017
President/Chair: Lee Derhousoff
Secretary: Monica Coleshill
Treasurer: Kathy Rush
Director: Laura Lodder
The Boundary Museum Society welcomes new Board members to fill three vacancies. Contact President Lee Derhousoff at 250-442-2054.
Manager: Cher Wyers
Archivist: Sue Adrain